Who saw the SC movies in theaters?

General chat about Johnny Five and Short Circuit.
ChrisEsperProduction

Who saw the SC movies in theaters?

Postby ChrisEsperProduction » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:12 pm

Just curious if anyone saw the movies in theaters, if so what was the experience like?

I didn't get to see them in theaters, because I wasn't even born yet (not until 1989)! Although, I first saw Short Circuit 2 when I was 5 or 6 in the mid 90's.

Paul

Re: Who saw the SC movies in theaters?

Postby Paul » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:26 pm

I saw the first SC at home VHS style, and then swa the seocnd one in the theatre.....it was not a good experience for me...the theatre smelled like cigar smoke, adn they beat my hero to a pulp...left the theatre crying my eyes out!!!

My poor parents! It's a wonder they didn't drown me!!

GinnieFive

Postby GinnieFive » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:30 am

But, Paul, the movie had a happy ending! Johnny Five LIVES at the end!! I hope they were tears of joy.

Anyway, I saw Short Circuit in 24 May 1986 at 7:05 pm at Hardy Court Cinema in Gulfport, MS They had a whopping 3 screens! I had seen previews of it on TV and was certain I would love it. I was not disappointed. In fact thus began an obsession that was maddening to my mother for the next several years.

And , in spite of all her concerns, I turned out all right.

That was the first of five times I saw it that summer.

Short Circuit 2 - 1:00 pm showing on 6 July 1988 - same theater, different screen. It was the first screening of the film on opening day. My mother - completely irritated after 2 years of Short Circuit - claimed to be too broke to take me to the show, so I offered to pay for everyone to go. That was back when a matinee was $2 and my 10 bucks was enough to get four people in and buy one box of candy. I was flat broke after that! (Mom's original plan was to just drop me off at the theater in the morning and pick me up after the last screening that night, but the thought of 4 or 5 back-to-back viewings of the same movie was too much for even me to bear)

The first movie had been a "religious" experience. SC2 was a lot of fun and I went to see it a few more times. After he new wore off it, was more like a really long TV episode of some kind, but I still like it.

Ginnie

onehothemi

Postby onehothemi » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:32 am

I saw the second one in the theaters with my mom but I honetly don't remember seeing it, thankfully I appreciate both films many years later!

Paul

Postby Paul » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:30 pm

ginny that is freakin hilarious that your mom was gonna drop you off in the morning and pick you up that night.

i think ive seen the two movies a total of something like 400 times now.....i can totally relate.

and yes i am a huge dork. :-)

i find it hilarious that one of my talking points is that i am one of around 5 or 10 "experts" on the short circuit films....

yup.....HUGE dork here.

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:11 pm

I wasn't introduced to Short Circuit until it was on tape. I was six at my friend's house playing with Transformers and he popped in the tape and I was hooked. Of course I had to see it in the theater when the sequel came out. I did get a little teary when they beat him up ;-). I think my favorite scene was the intro tho with the little toy cause I wanted one so bad. I thought for sure I would be seeing these at KB Toy Mart in a few weeks. Right? RIGHT?

Side thought:
So that little toy was supposed to have taken on its own life right? What do you think happened to it? Someone should write a story for him.

Josee Millette

Postby Josee Millette » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:57 am

I'm so jealous of who saw Short Circuit in theaters! I was introduced to it on VHS. My foster brother rented it. I was hooked, despite not understanding a thing! I didn't understand English at that time. I was about 6 years old, maybe 7. My foster brother rented Short Circuit 2 about two years later. I stil couldn't understand English! I saw SC2 again on TV in 1991 and -- in French! Finally I was able to understand and then I saw Short Circuit on TV in 1994 in French. I taped it off TV and that was when my obsession started. I watched it too many times! 8-)

Last February, we had The Great Digital Film Festival at Silvercity Gloucester. They were showing classic films from the 80's in digital. http://www.cineplex.com/Events/DigitalF ... /Home.aspx
I was surprised when I saw that they were showing the Goonies. I was thinking about what would have been my reaction if they had shown Short Circuit. I think I would have had a heart attack just seeing the title on the listing! I went twice and saw Back to the Future and Dirty Dancing. It was still fun! And it's still my dream to see Short Circuit on the big screen. They said people were voting for movies to be shown during the Great Digital Film Festival and we can vote for movies for next year. Guess what I would vote? Short Circuit. But I think you can only vote on Facebook and I'm not a member. I'll have to check.

Number 5

Postby Number 5 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:42 pm

Sorry, off topic!
Hol sh*t Josee, you live in Gatineau? Small world... I'm just over in Ottawa. Good to know there are some SC fans nearby! :D

Anywho... my sister and I saw Short Circuit at the Paramount Theatre in Campbellton NB, when I was very young. I think I was 5... but I know I cried when the replica Number 5 was destroyed, or so my sister recalls. This was New Brunswick after all and we didn't have advanced multiplex theatres back then. So I'm not even sure if we saw it exactly on release. It was most likely delayed. I recall wanting a toy but being that young, it was difficult to understand why none existed. :cry:

We then saw SC2 a couple of years later... movies were free for kids on Saturdays and as such, we viewed so many great movies there. Dick Tracy, Ferris Bueller, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, etc. The Paramount was a great threatre back then... I attribute it to my love for film at an early age.

scottstain

Postby scottstain » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:58 am

what are you talking about here in this topic related to something else..
Online streaming movies and latest updates about movies which are coming soon in theaters.

robo717

Postby robo717 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:00 pm

The first one I saw on cable but I saw the second one in theatres. I remember standing in line with my mom. Bambi was also playing and I was saying how stupid I thought it was. The lady behind me asked me why I was going to see Bambi if I thought it was stupid. I was indignant and answered back a little rudely that I wasn't going to see Bambi. I was going to see Short Circuit 2. I remember getting Jordan Almonds candy to eat while I was watching the movie. It was a fairly enjoyable experience.

Return to “Johnny Five is alive!”