Short Circuit Screenings at Cineplex on May 5, 2012

General chat about Johnny Five and Short Circuit.
Josee Millette

Short Circuit Screenings at Cineplex on May 5, 2012

Postby Josee Millette » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:22 am

I'm overjoyed to tell you this...

Cineplex will hold screenings of Short Circuit as part of their Family Favourites program on May 5, 2012.

My dream will come true! To watch Short Circuit on the big screen. And also, that is a wonderful way to celebrate the movie's 26th anniversary :D :D :D

Here are the details:

When: May 5, 2012 at 11:00 a.m.
Where: Several Cineplex movie theatres
http://www.cineplex.com/Movies/MovieDet ... #Showtimes

Tickets are only $2.50 and a portion of proceeds go towards supporting Starlight Children's Foundation (http://www.cineplex.com/Promos/Starlight/Home.aspx).

The Family Favourites presentation page hasn't yet been updated, but you may find more details here:
http://www.cineplex.com/Events/FamilyFa ... /Home.aspx

I just can't believe it!! If there are fans in the Ottawa area, please show yourselves. It would be fun to go together! I remember there used to be Edward (Number 5 on the messageboard) and Gordon (Blurr on the messageboard).

Mike

Re: Short Circuit Screenings at Cineplex on May 5, 2012

Postby Mike » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:41 am

Hey awesome! :^) I wish I had this opportunity.

Number 5

Postby Number 5 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:03 am

This is awesome news! I wil TRY, TRY, TRY to go see it. I'm actually scheduled to work that day. What location will you be attending Josee?

Josee Millette

Postby Josee Millette » Tue May 01, 2012 3:49 am

Hey Number 5! Glad to read you :D Glad to know you're still alive!

Ok, jokes aside...
I will be at Silvercity Gloucester. Work? Pffff! This deserves a day off.
If you decide to attend, please email me: josee.millette@videotron.ca
just so that I know to look for you... I don't even know what you look like.

This is really going to be awesome! I can't wait! Just to hear "Come and Follow Me" in the theater will be amazing. I was there for The Neverending Story a few weeks ago and it was special.

andy_mitchelluk

Postby andy_mitchelluk » Tue May 08, 2012 11:08 pm

Oh man. I wish they'd do this in the UK! All we've had in the way of old films was Back to the Future a couple of years back for it's blu-ray release celebration.

And I just realised it's 26 years ago today that we first got to see J5. Talk about strange. I've not been on the site for ages and I choose today of all days to check out johnny-five.com!

Happy 26th Johnny 5!

**edit. Was gonna go to sleep considering it's just gone midnight here in the UK but I think watching a certain film may just be in order :)
Colt .45. Semi-automatic. Play-doh.

Josee Millette

Postby Josee Millette » Wed May 09, 2012 8:11 pm

Happy 26th to Short Circuit! I had a great time watching Short Circuit in the theater last Saturday. I'll let you know more details later as I'm at work now...

Josee Millette

Postby Josee Millette » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:56 am

Ok, I realized I had not written about going to see Short Circuit in the theater. Here you go. I'm copying what I wrote in e-mails last year after watching the movie.

Well, first things first, I had bought my electronic ticket on April 23rd, but I only printed it before going to the theater. So I printed it and cut it and then I was looking at it in disbelief... wow! A movie ticket that says "Short Circuit" on it... completely unbelievable! :-) I usually only keep the pdf version, but this time I will also keep the paper version and put it somewhere in my Short Circuit collection. I was also surprised to find out that the movie was in theater #5 when I bought the ticket.

Ok, so the first thing I noticed when I came around the lobby into the hallway, was that there was a line-up of people waiting to give their tickets to the ticket taker! I wondered if those people were all there to see Short Circuit... Then second thing I noticed was that Short Circuit was not in theater #5 (talk about fake publicity!). I was anticipating to see "Short Circuit" written on the theater #5 marquee, theater #5 being the last one on the right of the hallway. Instead, I saw it in theater #7! Well, it happens a lot, they change the theaters a lot. It also happened for Neverending Story. Ah well. But it was really something, just to see "Short Circuit" written on that marquee... So I was still waiting and turned out that all those people in the line-up were there to see The Avengers in IMAX #8... They were all given their 3D glasses. Can you imagine. Short Circuit was in theater #7 next to The Avengers! Weird.

Then, I must say... unfortunately Short Circuit didn't have much of an audience :-( With me included, we were 10 people. I don't know how the screening at South Keys go (the other Cineplex location in Ottawa playing Short Circuit), but maybe they had more people... Maybe I should have been there!

So I finally entered theater #7 at 10:45 a.m. and there was a family of one mom with four kids (girls) sitting in the 4th row from the middle. I looked at them with a smile and sat in the 3rd row. So we were only 6 people until 10:55 a.m. when another family came in. 4 people. A mom, dad, boy (about 5 years old) and granpa. They sat in the 5th row and the little boy almost dropped his popcorn onto the little girls of the 4th row! Anyway, before the movie started, I could hear the family of the mom and the 4 girls talking and from what I understood, they didn't know Short Circuit was playing in the theater. It was the 4 kids' first time in the movie theater. They were waiting for their dad to come home from Newfoundland but it was snowing in Newfoundland so the plane was delayed. They were looking for something to pass the time so they decided to go to the movies. The mom said she looked at the schedule and saw Short Circuit and she was like "Is this the 80s movie I saw years ago?". Anyway, one of the youngest little girls (about 5 years old) was talking pretty much all the way through the movie, but I couldn't always hear her because she had a soft voice and the movie was loud. However, I could hear her when the movie started, she said "Ohhhh, flowers" and when Number Five is in the garbage truck, she said "Ohhh, a butterfly!". The granpa laughed at Number Five's "Pain in the ass" joke and when he says "Nice software!" and everybody laughed at Frank's pants falling down. The movie PAUSED for about 2 seconds at the part where Ben says "Hi Honey, what is for dinner?" and the little girl said "Who stopped the movie?".

Anyway, watching the movie was cool and weird at the same time. I don't know how to describe it, but it was such an experience for me. Just watching this movie I watch all the time and that I've seen so many times... it was kinda weird in the theater. I was smiling the whole time. Since there was no one sitting in front of me, in any of the what... 10 rows in front of me... it felt like I was by myself there, just me and Short Circuit... until I would hear that little girl's chatter again. I must add, the sound was amazing! And I must say, I really got my $2.50 worth!

The most special moment to see (and mostly to hear!) was of course the closing credits with Come And Follow Me... Oh, so great. It was so special I almost cried. Such a dream come true. I stayed until the very end. The family of 4 with the granpa left when the movie ended, but the other family with the 4 kids stayed until the very end with me... Then, I stood up and when I was leaving, the Blu-ray disc's menu came back up.

I took the free Cineplex magazine, which mentions Short Circuit as family favourite, but no picture. Here's the link to the pdf version. Short Circuit is mentioned at page 21.

http://mediafiles.cineplex.com/cineplex ... ay2012.pdf

So I returned home and did some chores... cleaning up and such. Then, prepared my dinner... mmmm. The chicken burritos and Dr. Pepper while watching Short Circuit on Blu-ray (again!), just like at the movie theater. I think this is the best Short Circuit anniversary celebration I've ever had. I would have liked the movie to have more of an audience in the theater, but I'm not surprised.

The Short Circuit page from Cineplex has been added to the archive with the photos. I don't know how long they keep it there, but it's cool.

http://www.cineplex.com/Movies/Archives ... ?id=261824

Return to “Johnny Five is alive!”